Defined as: The most common procedure for acquiring a duplicate title showing the current information existing on the New Jersey MV system. This is only necessary when the physical title is unavailable. If a title is available, but damaged, the procedure is called ‘replacement’ title. Ask NJ CAR Title Services staff for instructions if this applies to your situation.
- Proof of ownership in the form of a New Jersey insurance card or registration card showing the connection of the owner to the Vehicle Identification number. The card(s) may be current or expired.
- OS/SS-52 Application for Duplicate Title Form
- Lien Release or a Letter of Authorization from lienholder allowing a duplicate title to be issued.
- Authorization Letter signed by the titled owner allowing a duplicate title to be issued.
- Proof of payoff is required if the vehicle is within 5 model years.
In cases where proof of ownership isn’t available, request the alternate directions from Title Services staff. When an out-of-state resident is applying for a New Jersey title, additional information is required.
Below is a procedure checklist for requesting a duplicate title with proof of ownership. If you have any questions, please contact Title Services at (609) 883.6330, ext. 4 or via email at [email protected].