The IRS has extended the deadline to report the sale of EVs for 2023 to January 31, 2024. Dealers may submit their reports in excel format (preferred), individual Form 15400 or equivalent forms. Dealers must submit the information detailed below.
For vehicles placed in service in 2023, you needed to provide the following information to buyers at the time of sale:
- Seller/Dealer name and taxpayer ID number
- Buyer’s name and taxpayer ID number
- Maximum credit allowable under IRC 30D for new vehicles or IRC 25E for previously owned vehicles
- Vehicle identification number (VIN), unless the vehicle is not assigned one
- Battery capacity
- Date of sale
- Sale price
- For new vehicles, verification that the buyer is the original user
Submit copies of your seller reports provided to eligible buyers via email to [email protected].
The IRS preferred format for these submissions is an excel spreadsheet containing all required data from all seller reports a seller or dealer prepared in calendar year 2023.
Sellers or dealers may also submit individual seller report copies of the Form 15400 or equivalent forms containing all required data the seller/dealer used in calendar year 2023. Sellers and dealers that used reasonable alternatives to Form 15400 in providing the required seller reports to buyers do not need to prepare the information in the Form 15400 format.
Read more about the IRS clean vehicle credit seller or dealer requirements HERE.