Hope for the Warriors Voter Voice Business Expo

  Duplicate Title for an Out-of-State Resident  

Defined as: Acquiring a duplicate title showing information as it exists on the New Jersey MV system when; the owner currently resides in another state; the owner has registered but not titled in another state; the title is physically unavailable. If a NJ title is available, but damaged, the procedure is called 'replacement' title. Ask NJ CAR Title Services staff for instructions if this applies to your situation.
Required Paperwork:
  1. A copy of current or expired registration card showing the connection of the owner to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Registration and NJMVC records must match as to owner's name or no duplicate title will be issued.
  2. Pencil tracing or digital picture of the full VIN.
  3. Letter or Certification from the resident State declaring the vehicle is registered there, but no title was issued. The letter must be an original or certified copy and include the year, make, model and full VIN.
  4. Notarized letter from the titled owner, explaining why the vehicle was registered in one state and titled in another and the reason for applying for a duplicate title in NJ. Must also include the year, make, model and full VIN.
  5. OS/SS-52 Application for Duplicate Title Form
  6. Lien Release or a Letter of Authorization from lienholder allowing a duplicate title to be issued.
  7. Check or money order for $25.00 made payable to NJ CAR.
  8. Authorization from owner for third party to apply for a duplicate on their behalf.
Please contact Title Services at (609) 883-6683 or titles@njcar.org with any questions.

Site Map | Terms of Use | Copyright © 2019 New Jersey Coalition Of Automotive Retailers.
Headquarters:  856 River Road, Trenton, NJ. 08628 | Phone 609.883.5056